- Enabling debug logging
This article applies to the following product(s): VNC VNC Enterprise Edition VNC Personal Edition Both VNC Serve
- Unable to licence server: "XML error 0:0 Error: First Tag not found"
When running the license wizard or vnclicense -add from the command line, you may see the error "XML error 0:0 Error: First Tag not found". This is likely to mean that the Windows Event Log servi
- The vnc.so module isn't working under Fedora 8
This article applies to the following product(s): VNC Enterprise Edition Fedora 8 uses a mix of Xorg 7.2 and 7.3. The key component is actually the xorg-x11-server* packag
- I can't send a Ctrl-Alt-Delete combination to my Windows 7 computer
There is a default system policy in Windows 7 that prevents system services from sending Ctrl-Alt-Del (the Secure Attention Sequence, "SAS"). Note that only the VNC Server in Service Mode may proces...
- VNC Viewer does not launch when clicking the app icon
...n, the VNC Viewer window is not launched. In addition, you may see the following in the VNC Viewer log:
- VNC Server won't start - "RegisterEventSource: The interface is unknow...
When attempting to start VNC Server on Windows, you may see the following error: "RegisterEventSource: The interface is unknown (1717)" This error indicates that the Windows
- Version numbers used in VNC Deployment Tool do not match those in the VNC Server...
...ere the revision numbers are 60,000 lower than the actual numbers, as seen in VNC Server's About dialog. For example, VNC Deployment Tool claims the local
- Remoting the console and RDP sessions
Windows Vista and later
VNC Server in Service Mode remotes the session on the console (that is, what is visible to a user sitting in front of the machine). When a Remote Desktop Protocol (
- VNC Server licensing in non-standard environments or after hardware changes
VNC Server must be licensed to run. Normally, a license is entered on installation, and VNC Server does not need to be licensed again. However, there are various scenarios in which the license might
- "SCManager: CreateService failed: 1073" error in the remote logfile
If you are having problems deploying to remote machines using the VNC Deployment Tool, check the logfile on the remote machine for the following:
- Cannot open Options dialog for VNC Server in Service Mode on Mac OS X 10.7 using...
This article applies to the following product(s):
It is fixed in VNC 5.0.0. To download the latest version, please go to:
- Changing resolution via xrandr stops working after some time using VNC Server in...
Some users have reported a problem when starting VNC Server in Virtual Mode with several resolutions specified using the "RandR" VNC parameter, then connecting and disconnecting many times and switchi...
- Upgrading to VNC 5.0.x
Users with a valid support and upgrades contract for VNC Enterprise Edition or Personal Edition We recommend you read our
- Error 'getEthernetMAC failed'
VNC Server needs to be able to read the MAC address of the computer for licensing purposes. Some virtualization software does not provide a MAC address for the virtual servers it hosts. You can verify...
- Does VNC Server create a log file on Windows 98?
Under Windows 98, VNC Server logs all connection attempts and error messages to C:\temp\winvnc4.log.
- Using the VNC Deployment Tool on Windows 7
When running the VNC Deployment Tool on Windows 7, you will need to:
Ensure that you're logged on as the Domain Administrator
Right-click on the VNC Deployment Tool icon and
- Where does VNC Server in User Mode log to?
If started from the command line, VNC Server in User Mode simply logs to the terminal it was opened in. If it was started from a menu, you might see some output in ~/.xsession-errors (if it exists).
- How to change log file locations
...is article applies to the following product: VNC
Applications that can be configured
By default, logs are directed to C:\Temp, and the name of the log f
- Using Interactive Services prevents VNC connections on Windows Vista and later
This article applies to the following products:
VNC Enterprise 4.6 VNC 5.0
On Windows Vista or Server 2008, and later, if the Interactive Service
- I'm running Xvnc via xinetd, can I force vncconfig to start automatically a...
This article applies to the following product(s): VNC Enterprise Edition/VNC Personal Edition Yes, although some manual configuration is required. The instructions below ar